| Search | Login/Register
   Home » Analog Playback» Fidelity Research FR-7 (31 posts, 2 pages)
  Print Thread | 1st Post |  
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2
08-12-2012 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
San Diego, California, USA
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 21
Post ID: 18514
Reply to: 18513
Ducklings, TTs, and Phono Cartridges
fiogf49gjkf0d
Way back when I was an undergraduate, we studied about baby ducklings that some maniac made to follow a "surrogate mother" around a moving turntable.  To make a horrifying story short, the "study" concluded that the harder the ducklings were made to work to keep up with the dummy, the more stongly they "bonded" with it.

Best regards,
Paul S
03-02-2013 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
N-set
Gdansk, Poland
Posts 441
Joined on 01-07-2006

Post #: 22
Post ID: 19059
Reply to: 18481
I shake my head in disbelief
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Paul S wrote:
Shake yourself, N-set!
Sealed suspension, new stylus, my ass...

Best regards,
Paul S

Well Paul, I did not shake myself and given your list above I risked with the first two positions, skipping your ass ;-)
I got a Bavarian, Weizenbier marinated FR7f, 6 digit S/N, Namiki quadrophonic Q4 stylus+boron super thin
cantilever, super low hours...blahblablah....wank wank wank....
Hm...I put into SME3012R on my EMT930. A very crazy stuff! I'm far away from any serious optimization yet, 97R load results
in the hyperresolving, atomized mode, briliantly described here:

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=2&postID=11177#11177

VTA set so-s0, 2.6g VTF (Vhat The Fuck), 1:10 SUT which is not enough...
but even non-optimized, the interesting moments it's able to paint, are just plain crazy in their naturalness, dynamical and
tonal picture, emotional engagement...at least to my non-existent sonic intelligence and deaf ears...I touch my stupid headpones
trying to touch that Sound I'm being exposed to...quite hallucynogenic
Still those moments are a bit discontinously separated by less interesting ones, lowering the emotional attention.
I'm working to ameliorate that (the first culprint is too low load) and get a more stable emotional output.

Loosely comparig to the London Jubilee I auditioned in my setup some months ago, London was putting a very nice and constant,
creamy flow, which at beginning catchy, with some LP's became too predictable. Nothing like that here, so far.

Cheers,
Jarek
Paul S
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 23
Post ID: 19060
Reply to: 19059
Good To Go
fiogf49gjkf0d
I love the "meaty" sound of those cartridges!  But it isn't enough for me.

If you like it, it doesn't matter at all whether it is anything like the "original", and hopefully it will at least remain viable for you.

In 6-8 weeks I hope to continue where I left off with my own cartridge, which I now realize took me about 7 years to really figure out, and most of that time spent before the "light" even went on!

YMMV, of course...

Prost,
Paul S
N-set
Gdansk, Poland
Posts 441
Joined on 01-07-2006

Post #: 24
Post ID: 19061
Reply to: 19060
Meaty
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Paul S wrote:
I love the "meaty" sound of those cartridges!  But it isn't enough for me.

I'd would not call it "meaty" at all at this stage of my aquintance with it (all the caveats from my above post re optimization apply).
My TSD15SPH would be meaty.
"Transparent" would be probably more suitable if anyone forces me to choose one world from the common
audiopedofile (poor) dictionry. But the cart, to my ears, does show it's own reproducing intelligence and, so far, it
doesn't seem to put too much of it's own ego upfront...so far so good. Let's see how it changes when we evolve in our relationship.

Cheers,
Jarek
Paul S
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 25
Post ID: 19064
Reply to: 19061
Only the Good Parts
fiogf49gjkf0d
N-set, I was somehow thinking of the (German...) EMTs when I "remembered" "meaty".  Sorry.  I have no idea how your newly modified cartridge might sound.

The rest, if generic, remains apropos, I think.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Paul
09-08-2015 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 26
Post ID: 21962
Reply to: 19061
Well???
fiogf49gjkf0d
N-set. you dropped this thread. How did the Mafia-endorsed FR cartridge wind up working out over time?

Best regards,
Paul
09-09-2015 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
N-set
Gdansk, Poland
Posts 441
Joined on 01-07-2006

Post #: 27
Post ID: 21963
Reply to: 21962
War imbalance
fiogf49gjkf0d
Paul,

I haven't done much audio in the past 1,5 year. The main reason is a war in my motherland which got me pretty out of balance,
but I'm coming slowly back.  To try the Fr7, I made a slate/lead tower for the SME3012 caring it. Now I need to convince
Tribute Pieter to use the silver wire we have to finally wind me a dedicated SUT and after some soldering within my RIAA (oh, how I love it!).
I should be listening the fr7. Hope somewhere within a couple of months.

Cheers,
N-set

Cheers,
Jarek
09-09-2015 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 28
Post ID: 21964
Reply to: 21963
Serious Stuff
fiogf49gjkf0d
N-set. I am sorry to hear that you have in any way been itouched by the greedy, filthy, heartless assholes who keep coming up with justifications for wars. May thay live forever where everyone is exactly like they are.

As for the SUT, this seems like a great opportunity to match input and output as you like, rather than compromising on a "one-size-fits-all" "solution". However, if you go with Pieter, it might be another LONG wait before you get to listen to your ideas. I was also thinking it would be nice to make a "stand alone" SUT, and you could add to that dedicated, hard-wired input and output wiring. My own Ortofon T-3000 is quite heavy, and it has a nice Mu metal case, but I have not wanted to crack the case to hard wire it, because the silver wire inside is VERY thin. I suppose only some Japanese would know if Ikedasan made "dedicated" transformers for the FR7 series, the way Ortofon once did for their highline cartridges. I do know that the "Japanese market" offers a whole range of SUTs that we never see in USA. Perhaps you will just buy a top Cinemag (Bob's), Auditorium, or Audio Note SUT - or something - to play with while you wait for the Tribute SUT?

Best regards,
Paul S
09-10-2015 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
N-set
Gdansk, Poland
Posts 441
Joined on 01-07-2006

Post #: 29
Post ID: 21969
Reply to: 21964
Power war
fiogf49gjkf0d
The most terryfying thing is that the war was still possible in Europe...and this kind of war with heavy indiscriminative shellings...

Yes Pieter needs time, but I haven't been pushing too much. We have bought silver wire so it sits there and waits. I was also thinking about hardwiring with bell ends but Peter says no way with 0.17mm silver. Having a cheaper SUT may be an option for teh moment, however I firts have sometjing differet on my agenda: dedicated power lines. After hearing what vibration controll can do, I want to have +/- clear power before proceeding with FR7.

Cheers,
Nset 

Cheers,
Jarek
03-18-2018 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
Posts 2,104
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 30
Post ID: 24757
Reply to: 21969
2 1/2 years later?
Jarek, did you ever use/develop the cartridge?  If not, WTF?  If you did, surely you are obliged to share?

Best regards,
Paul S
03-18-2018 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
N-set
Gdansk, Poland
Posts 441
Joined on 01-07-2006

Post #: 31
Post ID: 24758
Reply to: 24757
Comming soon
Hi Paul,
WTF is probably the right question. The time has been the problem - in the past 2,5yrs Ive set up my own audio company and only recently came back to working on the front end of my system.I changed the concept and bought the FR64S arm together with a custom silver wound SUT from Tribute Audio. I'm now getting together last the bits - the cable, protraktor (thanks Syntax for the help) and the mouting collar that I have to machine myself to fit my EMT930. Then some soldering to install a sut switch in the phono pre and should be done. It will be compared against my current setup: spu meister silver on 3012R.
CheersJarek

Cheers,
Jarek
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2
Home Page  |  Last 24Hours  | Search  |  SiteMap  | Questions or Problems | Copyright Note
The content of all messages within the Forums Copyright © by authors of the posts