With the project of the 6-chennal Super Melquiades is about to hit its final stage I might to review my summarizing observations. The 6-chennals Macondo is driven by 6-chennals dedicated DSET Melquiades, that looks like properly orgies for the job. The success of the 6-chennal DSET is unquestionable, though I would not advise anybody to go this route – too much work. The only thing that drove me into this project is a comment of a friend of mine why said: After you finish this 6-chennal DSET you will be done and you will not need to do it again”.
Well, after I finish with 6-chennal Milq and the Injected Macondo I pretty much have no areas to attack or improve in Macondo/Melquiades configuration and I am not planning to undertake any other alternation of that tandem. Still, for a sake of journalistic honesty I would like to outline some aspects of Macondo/ Melquiades that would explore if the circumstance or condition changes. Those directions are NOT on my radars as now but still, from a perspective of the playback system architecture those moments should be named.
1) I would like to try amorphous core foe my LF transformer. I know, I know, the amorphous core is not LF core but I know what I hear and if I found somebody who would be able to make for me dedicated amorphous LF transformer then I would try.
2) If I move to a larger room (>4 time larger then I have now) then it is highly likely that the power of 6-chennal Super Melquiades will not be enough to drive Macondo. The LF channel will to much in class A2 (Milq is dead in A2) and the single stage amps will have not enough gain
3) The Zaratustra II should be tried on bass The Zaratustra’s 200W of class A, the Melquiades’ driver stage with ability to deliver 90A might be an interesting alternative for a class A on DSET’s bass. I put the Zaratustra II project on the back burners for now.
4) DHT for Macondo MF channel only. This opportunity that I would be welcome to experiment with. The single 6E6P with Milq’s bias now drivers the Vitavox S2 driver and it does very well. Still, if I come across of an interestingly sounding direct heated triode with over 30 times gain then I would certainly dive it a change to drive me MF Vitavox. I do have a spare amorphous OPT for 1kOhm tube – so it should not be so difficult to experiment with it. I do not know the market of the DHT tubes well enough. If someone has your yeas a 25-35 times gain vintage DHT that might give 1-5W power then let me know. The irony is that I kind of preserve a space inside f the 6-chennal Super Melquiades if anything like this come to existence. I personally will not dive into this journey as I very pleased what a single 6E6P does but I will keep my mind open for a single DHT. I will not consider the DHT for other then MF channels.
5) Changing my LF section, rewirering all 12 drivers in parallel and consequential introduction of another 1.3R dedicated LF output transformer. I see a lot of benefits in a situation when ALL my LF driver are connected in parallel. If I have a space that I would gladly add as few more drivers to my line array….
Since the idea of the Macondo and Super Melquiades is not fulfilled (it took from 2002 to 2008!!!) I am VERY welcome to any practical, theoretical or conceptual critique of the Macondo/DSET design or the implementation. You do not need to be constrictive – it is my job to distinct BS from a criticism that might has some rational grains…Rgs, Romy the caT
"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche